lasagna

I meant to take a picture of the lasagna, I really did. I've been so busy that it just slipped my mind. Plus, as you probably read on the front page, my computer and I are engaged in a great cyber war. Anyways, I hadn't made this in a long time, but I changed things up a bit and it was for the better, or at least that's my opinion.

Of course you are going to start out preheating the oven and brown hamburger meat. I use 1 1/2 pound, but anything from 1-2 pounds will work. This should be determined either by how much meat you fancy or how much you can afford. For those you want a little cheaper fix, add 1/2 cup of rolled quick oatmeal as it is browning. Seriously, no one will ever know except you and me.

As the meal (and oats) are slowing cooking, add fresh mushrooms, diced onions and green peppers and maybe even a little spinach for good measure. Rowdy hates ALL the added vegetables. If I just do one or two, he seems to be happy as a lark, but when I throw in the whole garden, he acts like a first grader at a vegan restaurant.

Once the meat and "don't tell the men and kids" ingredients are all browned and softened, add one 28 ounce can of crushed organic tomatoes. Add 1 teaspoon each: oregano, basil, thyme, parsley. Then add one HALF can of the Heinz Four Cheese Spaghetti Sauce. Reserve the remaining. Let all this blend over a low heat.

Pour remaining spaghetti sauce in the bottom of large casserole dish. Line first layer of softened lasagna noodles, pour half meat sauce mixture. Top with mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese and then another layer of noodles.

Beat two eggs. Fold eggs into 16-20 ounces 2% cottage cheese. Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Mix together and pour over noodles. Top with more mozzarella and more cheddar.

Add last layer of noodles and then remaining meat sauce mixture. Add cheddar cheese and then mozzarella. With this layer, it is important that the white cheese is on top.

Now find a cookie sheet that is large enough to cover the casserole dish. Hopefully you have one with small sides so that when you place this upside down on top of the casserole dish it isn't touching the food. You can put the lasagna in the oven without this, but the top layer of cheese might get a little hardened. You can put foil on top of it, but often times your cheese will stick to it. This is this best option I've found so far.

Bake for 30 minutes and let settle for a bit. I put my in the frig if I have time to let cool and then reheat portions in the microwave. It may sound silly, but it lets the layers settle.

0 comments: