Shonda Sushi




Awwww...with the miraculous genius of amazon.com, I can whip up hand-rolled sushi from the comfort of my own home, quite a feat in rural Oklahoma. Sure, I don't have access to a smorgasbord of sashimi-grade fish, but I can suffice. After I found a quality nori, which is a Japanese seaweed wrap of sorts, I modeled my homemade sushi roll after the California roll. However, through trial and error, I have learned awesome variations.
The first thing one must do is prepared the sushi rice. Although you don't have to Japanese ingredients necessarily, it is relatively important to stick to the recipe.

SUSHI RICE
2 cups cooked short or medium grain rice
***do NOT use minute rice

1/4 cup rice vinegar

3 tablespoons sugar

After the rice is cooked, quickly add the rice vinegar and sugar, stirring repeatedly. Let cool to room temperature.

Now you want to get out your bamboo rolling mat, although simple plastic wrap will do.
After the rice as cooled, spread it upon a sheet of nori. At the end closet to you, start adding your ingredients. In the roll I make at home most often because, well, I like it and the ingredients are not accessible, I put one layer of King crab legs, three strips of avocado and a sliver of cream cheese.

As soon as I've added my ingredients (feel free to improvise), I roll the nori once tightly over my chosen goods and then repeated until it's snug as your grandpa's cigar.
Next week I will share my recipe for unagi, or eel. It is a sweet, barbequed meat that doesn't really taste at all like fish.

0 comments: